Wednesday, January 18, 2012

2012 Goals

In the year 2012 I have 4 main goals.

1.  Complete America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride, all 100 miles on June 3rd, and have a better ride than last years.  While the weather was out of my control last year, I think I wasn't completely prepared for the hills at the end of Tahoe.  In 2012, I will make it up Spooner without stopping.  I will finish all 100 miles and I won't be dead for the last 15. I plan to do all this while also mentoring other cyclists on Team In Training, helping them in any way I can, and raising lots o' money for LLS.  (see the Donate Now button the right? feel free to use it!)

2.  Complete at least 1 Sprint Triathlon (1/3 mi swim, 14 mi bike, 5k run) this summer, probably the same Peachtree City Sprint I did last year.  I want to improve my time dramatically.  Last year my results were:
  • 302 out of 364 (Female overall)   
  • 60th out of 67th (my age group Female 30-34)
  • Swim time (1/3 mi): 10:09 - 117th Female overall
  • Bike time: 46:34 - 212nd Female overall
  • Bike pace: 18.00 mph
  • Run time (this is where it's REAAAALLLY bad): 43:58 - 349th Female overall
  • Run pace: 14:11 mph
  • Overall time: 1:44:34
This year, I want to improve my rankings both Female overall and age group overall.  Specifically I want to accomplish the following:
  • Swim time: under 10 minutes.  I know I can do this, I almost did it last year.
  • Bike time: 42:00 
  • Bike pace: 20.0 mph
  • Run time: 32:00 
  • Run pace: 10 mph
  • Decrease overall time by: 15 minutes
3.  Complete at least 1 Olympic Distance Triathlon (swim 1.5 km, bike 25 miles and run 6.2 miles) this summer, Megan and I are looking at doing the Eleven Olympic distance in June.  This is another item on my bucket list that I've always wanted to accomplish.  The swim and bike are no problem for me, it's really the running that has always held me back.  I'm a terrible runner.  5ks are hard enough, why would I want to do a 10k??  I'm hoping that goals 2 and 3 will help each other.  As I'm training for longer distance triathlon, the sprint should feel "easier".  I think, when I look at the 5k run, I know I can muddle through that kind of distance (see last year ) - but a 10k run requires a lot more effort.  I can't just "make it" through.  Having this hefty goal I think will be good, my triathlon goals of last year were too easy - I didn't "have" to train.

4.  Overall, get in better shape and lead a healthier lifestyle.  What they say is true - you find someone you love and its easy to get fat and happy.  I know I can be happy without the extra fat.  This year, I want to maintain this lifestyle even after the training events of the summer and fall - which is not what I did last year.

Documenting my goals here is a way for me to hold myself accountable.  It's very easy to come up with excuses for why I didn't work out one day, or why I didn't eat right this day, but it's going to be hard to admit that I had these goals in January and somehow couldn't manage to complete them in an entire year.  I'ts not that I think these are easy goals to complete, I don't, but I think they are perfectly reasonable, given the time frame, to accomplish.


No comments:

Post a Comment