Saturday, February 11, 2012

Riding in the Snow..

Today was week 2 of training for the summer season and it was my first ride this season, my first ride on my new bike!!   If you haven't seen my new bike....here it is:  


The Group Training Ride (GTR) started off this week with a clinic.  We focused on clipping in and out of our pedals, avoiding road obstacles, and changing gears going up and down hills.  The air was very cold and occasionally had some really big gusts of wind...it was very chilly.  I noticed the small,white things falling from the sky - yep, it really snowed.  I could barely feel my face, hands and feet - but I think the clinic was very useful.  

After the clinic we set out for a nice (not easy) 10 miles.  I was at the end of the pack and stayed back to ride with J.  J is new to cycling but has done a half marathon AND an Olympic distance triathlon with TNT, so this will be her triple crown.  Some of the hills were a little tough for her so we took our time and walked a few.  The hills weren't getting any easier, the weather wasn't helping, and while I tried to push J the whole 10 miles, it was clear today was just not the day for that.  Because of our stopping to walk, I think that was making her more tired.  In the end, C to the rescue!! One of our SAG (Support and Gear) brought her in at about mile 6.5.  From there I went off by myself.  I was the last one on the course (not something I'm used to, not that I'm leading the pack, I'm just usually somewhere in the middle) and I rode the last 4 miles by myself.  Riding by yourself really isn't all that fun - especially in weather you'd rather not ride in.  But, this is why we have mentors and this is why I stayed at the end with J.  I've never been the ride sweeper before and I've never been the last one to come in.  But, as M put it on her blog, these rides are not about speed, "they are about riding with the TEAM and being there for the participants".

GO TEAM!

Stats:
Max Speed: 34.4 mph
Avg Speed: 9.4 mph
Distance: 11.3 miles

My computer is new, because of that, my stats are a little sparse since I'm still learning it

No comments:

Post a Comment