Saturday, March 5, 2011

Slippery When Wet - Group Training Ride

Where did I ridehere

Ride Stats: (They're back!!  My Tracks updated and the stats appear correct!)
Total Distance: 47.01 km (29.2 mi)
Moving Time: 2:09:16
Average Moving Speed: 21.82 km/h (13.6 mi/h)
Max Speed: 53.10 km/h (33.0 mi/h)
Elevation Gain: 627 m (2058 ft)

Falls: 0!
The Ride:
Action shot of rain on my sunroof
Well, I did not want to ride this morning.  I could hear the rain pouring down when I woke up and I had to wake up early because the ride start was about an hour away.  I was one of the first to arrive, which had me wondering if I was crazy for coming out in this weather.  Today wasn't as cold as it was last time we rode in the rain - so we had that going for us.  I was prepared, so I thought, I brought a lighter but more waterproof wind breaker and I had several Publix plastic bags to wrap my feet in before putting them in my shoes.  This is supposed to help keep your feet dry-ish and keep the wind out too.  


The ride started out very wet.  It was a steady rain, and not being used to riding in the rain, I'm not used to making sure I'm the correct distance from the person in front of me so they don't spray me with their tire water.  I'm glad I had my glasses, I switched out the lenses to have the clear ones, hoping that would work for blocking some of the rain in my eyes.  It did, but they also fogged up a lot - which was kind of a pain. At one point, there was so much water from both the sky and the back tire of the person in front of me, that I felt it actually running down my tights and into the bags that were supposed to be keep my footsies dry.  Oh well.


Post ride shot - in case you can't tell, I'm SOAKED!
I rode with a new group today, S, L and C - it was a great pace.  I think the rain really motivated us to go faster - I'm pretty happy with my average speed.  We reached the SAG stop, which was about 15 miles into the ride, and it felt like we reached it really quickly.  The rain had stopped and even though I was wet, I felt pretty good.  I'm guessing that it was about 10 miles after the SAG stop whent the rain started again - pretty hard too.  We had met back up with the group that left before us at the SAG and we rode very fast back to Publix.


Gloves CAN dub as socks
if the ones you have are
soaked and you forgot
dry ones.
At the end of the ride, despite not being able to feel my feet, learning that my windbreaker was in fact NOT waterproof, and being soaked and snotty from the cold rain, I felt great!  30-ish miles with an average speed of 13.6 mph - AWESOME.  I wonder how much of that was motivation from the rain, and how much is actually getting better at cycling.  Either way, I'll take it!


Bike sludge - my bike now
needs a bath
I may have felt great - but my bike on the other hand, is going to need a good wash.  Good thing we had a bike cleaning clinic last GTR.


Tomorrow it is supposed to rain again.  Because of this, I'm pretty sure I won't be riding in the rain again.  Once in a weekend is enough for me.  Tomorrow I will either set up the trainer and bike in the basement or head to the Y for a spin class.



No comments:

Post a Comment